Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
I get a lot of email. A lot! But I’ve already written reams of advice on this site. So this page was set up to answer the most common questions and direct you to some further reading:
- Can you help me with questions about my planned trip?
- I want to pay you little or nothing to publish my commercial spam articles/adverts
- Can you basically plan my entire trip for me?
- I can get your site on the first page of Google if you pay me oodles
- Can I interview you/use your pictures for my website?
- Can you help me get sponsorship/money?
- Will you write/shoot/film something for me for free?
- Can you help me get a visa for Nowhere-istan?
- I want to hire you; can I?
1. Can you help me with questions about my planned trip?
Check out the advice section where it’s likely I’ve already written an article that will help you. Really. Almost everything I know about cycle touring is here. If your question still isn’t answered, get in touch. I prefer coffee to email.
2. I’m a PR and I’d like to send you custom-written content promoting my client’s product/service
3. Can you basically plan my entire trip for me?
Sure. Sell everything. Quit your job. Get a bike. Ride it. The rest will work itself out.
Think it’s more complicated than that? Check out the Advice & Planning pages.
4. I can get your site on the first page of Google if you pay me oodles
5. Can I interview you/use your pictures for my website?
You can interview me, with pleasure. Again, coffee trumps email if possible!
6. Can you help me get sponsorship/money?
Money? OK. Work, save, sell everything on eBay, and leave. And when you leave, don’t spend anything.
Sponsorship? Have you served your apprenticeship? You won’t get sponsorship without a proven track record, or without turning your trip into something you probably never wanted it to be. Very few people really need it. You can earn more cash for less effort. Trust me.
For a bit more detail, read these articles:
- Cycle Touring Sponsorship: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (or, a warning)
- How To: Finance Long-Term Travelling
- How To: Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
7. Will you write/shoot/film something for me for free?
Maybe – I’m happy to spread a bit of knowledge and an interesting story or two. But is the information already out there? Can I afford to work for free? Why isn’t your project helping those involved to make a living?
8. Can you help me get a visa for Nowhere-istan?
If you want to travel to Russia, Central Asia or Iran, I recommend Stantours (crap site, great company). David, the German ex-pat in Kazakhstan who runs it, arranged all of my visas for this region. For Western passport holders travelling to most other places in the world, simply turn up at the Embassy in the previous country, hand over a large wad of cash, and come back the next day for your visa.
If you’re still unsure, the people over at the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum will have a more up-to-date answer than me.
9. I want to hire you; can I?
I’m always on the look out for way to combine doing what I love with keeping a roof/tent over my head – a tough combination! If you have an expedition or project that you think I’d be interested in, please get in touch. I do writing and photography, I tell stories through film, I manage web projects for expeditions, and I’m happy to… nay, I love to work in all manner of conditions!