I get a lot of email. A lot! But I’ve already written reams of advice on this site. So this page was set up to answer the most common questions and direct you to some further reading:
- Can you help me with questions about my planned trip?
- I want to pay you little or nothing to publish my commercial spam articles/adverts
- Can you basically plan my entire trip for me?
- I can get your site on the first page of Google if you pay me loads of money
- Can I interview you/use your pictures for my website?
- Can you help me get sponsorship/money?
- Will you write/shoot/film something for me for free?
- Can you help me get a visa for Nowhere-istan?
- I want to hire you; can I?
1. Can you help me with questions about my planned trip?
Check out the advice section where it’s likely I’ve already written an article that will help you. Really. Almost everything I know about cycle touring is here. If your question still isn’t answered, get in touch. I prefer coffee to email.
2. I’m a PR and I’d like to send you a high-quality guest post promoting my client’s product/service
Sorry, no. My blog’s sovereignty is priceless.
3. Can you basically plan my entire trip for me?
Sure. Sell everything. Quit your job. Get a bike. Ride it. The rest will work itself out.
Think it’s more complicated than that? Check out the planning advice section.
4. I can get your site on the first page of Google if you pay me oodles
My site is already on the first page of Google.
5. Can I interview you/use your pictures for my website?
You can interview me if I’m not busy. Again, coffee trumps email if possible.
If you want to use my pictures, please ask me first. It’s only polite.
6. Can you help me get sponsorship/money?
Money? Sure! Work hard, cut your costs, sell everything you don’t need on eBay, save up, and leave.
And when you leave, don’t spend anything.
Sponsorship? Sure! Served your apprenticeship? Got a proven track record? Want to turn your trip into something you never wanted it to be?
Very few people need sponsorship. You can earn more cash for less effort by working. Trust me.
For a bit more detail, read these articles:
- How To Budget & Save For A Bike Trip
- Cycle Touring Sponsorship: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (or, a warning)
- How To Finance Long-Term Travelling
- How To Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
7. Will you write/shoot/film something for me for free?
Please consult this flow chart, then feel free to ask.
8. Can you help me get a visa for Nowhere-istan?
If you want to travel to Russia, Central Asia or Iran, I recommend Stantours. David, the German ex-pat in Kazakhstan who runs it, arranged all of my visas for this region.
For Western passport holders travelling to most other places in the world, simply turn up at the Embassy in the previous country, hand over a large wad of cash, and come back the next day for your visa.
If you’re still unsure, the people over at the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum will have a more up-to-date answer than me.
9. I want to hire you; can I?
Almost definitely not – I’m self-unemployed for life – but it doesn’t hurt to ask!