The best gift I’ve ever received on the road is this; a stove made from nothing but a discarded drinks can. In this video we’re going to learn how to make it (with a little help from my friend Armen).
You can get your raw materials from the trashcan, make it in 10 minutes with a pocket knife, and get fuel from any pharmacy or hardware store. Oh, and it costs a hundred bucks less than the Whisperlite. What’s not to like?
I’ve been using these stoves for years now. Here are a few ideas for getting more out of them:
- Arrange several stoves in a pretty pattern and cook a big pot of food for your friends
- If windy, use your camping mattress (especially the cheap foam ones) as a wrap-around windshield
- Hunt down more efficient fuels than medical alcohol
- Try making giant stoves out of those oversized cans
- Make them in campsites and hostels to give away as gifts, to trade for other useful stuff, in exchange for beer money, or simply to attract potential partners
This video is part of my ongoing mission to bring cycle touring back to its roots, which lie in simplicity and spontaneity over grand plans and fancy kit. Click here for a full list of related posts.
Cooked anything tasty on one of these stoves? Please share your stories, recipes, etc in the comments below.