Cycle-Touring Planning Resources & Advice
Need advice on planning and doing a big bike trip?
Pick a date. Start saving. Get a bike, tent & sleeping bag. Choose a direction, and go.
I really mean this. Have another look at the picture above. Maria (right) departed Budapest on a bike she bought for $15 from a local scrapyard. After strapping a backpack to it, she spent two months cycling through Eastern Europe to Istanbul. Her life-changing bicycle adventure required less than 24 hours of planning and involved no specialist equipment whatsoever. Take your cue from her — not me. I’m over-equipped and over-prepared. Far better to keep it simple.
Need more reassurance? Think your trip’s going to be different? OK — read on.
The Basics Of Long-Term Bicycle Travel
- How To Cycle Around The World In 3 Easy Steps
- Which Touring Bike Should I Ride?
- Why You Don’t Need Any Of That Stuff
- How To Finance Long-Term Cycle Touring
- Going High Tech Or Going Low Tech?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Bicycle Touring
In-Depth Trip Planning
- How To Get A Free Touring Bike If You Can’t Afford An Expensive One
- 10 Tips For Planning Your First Off-Road Bicycle Expedition
- How To Build The Perfect Expedition Bike (4-Part Series)
- Folding Touring: Possible? Practical? Really?
- How To Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
- Why You Shouldn’t Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
- Unpacking The Trailers Versus Panniers Debate
- How To Build A Bicycle Wheel In Ten Easy Steps
- How To Setup And Run A Mobile Adventure Blog
- How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You’ll Ever Need [VIDEO]
- 8 Handy Bits Of Software For Travellers And Adventurers
- 8 Free Android Apps For Cycle Tourists
- The Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook Is The Only Guidebook You Need
- Iranian & Central Asian Visas for Cycle Tourists Riding East
- How To Make The Most Of GPS On A Cycling Trip
On The Road: Concerns Addressed (Plus, How To Think)
- How To Wild Camp Anywhere And Not Get Busted [VIDEO]
- What the heck am I supposed to do now?
- We Were Not Born Talented, Brave & Fearless
- Everything Will Be Fine. Here’s Proof.
- The Surprising Truth About Cycling Across A Continent
- On The Art Of The Unplanned Journey
Specialist Topic: Adventure Filmmaking
- How To Make An Award-Winning Adventure Documentary [VIDEO]
- What Every Adventure Filmmaker Should Know About Storytelling
- How To Film Your Solo Cycling Expedition
- How To Shoot A Feature Documentary With A Cast And Crew Of One
- How To Shoot Your Own Blockbuster Travel Documentary [VIDEO]
- Insider Secrets: How To Make Your Travel Videos Better
- The Importance of Storytelling
- The Double-Edged Sword Of Independent Film
- The Hero Myth vs Everyman: The Two Faces Of Adventure Storytelling
- 5 Tips To Massively Improve The Quality Of Your Travel Video Footage
- How This 2-Minute Clip Won The ACA’s Bicycle Travel Video Contest
Specialist Topic: Deep Winter
- Ice Road Biker: Essential Gear for a Deep Winter Bike Tour
- 10 Questions & Answers On Surviving The Scandinavian Arctic On A Bike
- 5 Reasons To Go Winter Cycle-Touring (& 5 Reasons Not To)
A quick word. You don’t need any of this stuff. What you really need is the modern world’s most scarce resource: time. After that, a bicycle and a willingness to see where the road takes you are the only other necessities.
Nevertheless, many of us find reasons to enter the bemusing and monolithic world of specialist equipment. Here I present an evolving guide to unravelling this maze. (Some of these pages contain affiliate links, marked with an asterisk (*). They help me cover the site’s running costs, and are suggestions rather than endorsements. More info here.)
Bikes, Parts & Luggage
- Round-up of Mid-Range Touring Bikes
- Recommended Touring Bikes: Kona Sutra
- Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Touring Tyre Review
- Extrawheel Voyager Single-wheel Bike Trailer Review
- Tubus Logo Rear Rack Review
- Carradice Super C Rear Pannier Review
- Recommended Tents: MSR Hubba 1P Solo Tent
- Recommended Tents: Vaude Hogan Ultralight 2P Tent
- MSR Whisperlite Universal Canister/Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- MSR Dragonfly Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite Ultralight Camping Mat Review
- Exped DownMat 7 Pump Camping Mattress Review