Cycle-Touring Planning Resources & Advice
Need advice on planning and doing a big bike trip?
Pick a date. Start saving. Get a bike, tent & sleeping bag. Choose a direction, and go.
I really mean this. Have another look at the picture above. Maria (right) departed Budapest on a bike she bought for $15 from a local scrapyard. After strapping a backpack to it, she spent two months cycling through Eastern Europe to Istanbul. Her life-changing bicycle adventure required less than 24 hours planning and involved no specialist equipment whatsoever. Take your cue from her — not me. I’m over-equipped and over-prepared. Far better to keep it simple, no?
Need more reassurance? Think your trip’s going to be different? OK — fine. Save time and grab yourself a copy of the Adventure Cycle Touring Handbook*. It really does cover everything. I helped write bits of it, along with a long list of far more experienced cycle tourers.
Still want more? Well, if you’re looking for specific advice, read on.
- How To Cycle Round The World In 3 Easy Steps
- You Don’t Need All This Stuff
- Which Touring Bike Should I Buy?
- 10 Tips For Planning Your First Off-Road Bicycle Expedition
- How To Build The Perfect Expedition Bike (4-Part Series)
- Folding Touring: Possible? Practical? Really?
- The Art Of The Unplanned Journey
- The Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook
- How To Finance Long-Term Travelling
- High Tech or Low Tech?
- How To Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
- Cycle Touring Sponsorship: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
- The Trailers Versus Panniers Debate
- Frequently Asked Questions About Bicycle Touring
On The Road
- How To Wild Camp Anywhere And Not Get Busted [VIDEO]
- How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You’ll Ever Need [VIDEO]
- How To Setup And Run A Mobile Adventure Blog
- How To Build A Bicycle Wheel In Ten Easy Steps
- 8 Handy Bits Of Software For Travellers And Adventurers
- How To Make The Most Of GPS On A Cycling Trip
- 8 Free Android Apps For Cycle Tourists
Specialist Topic: Filmmaking
- How To Make An Award-Winning Adventure Documentary [VIDEO]
- What Every Adventure Filmmaker Should Know About Storytelling
- How To Film Your Solo Cycling Expedition
- How To Shoot A Feature Documentary With A Cast And Crew Of One
- How To Shoot Your Own Blockbuster Travel Documentary [VIDEO]
- Insider Secrets: How To Make Your Travel Videos Better
- The Importance of Storytelling
- The Double-Edged Sword Of Independent Film
- The Hero Myth vs Everyman: The Two Faces Of Adventure Storytelling
- 5 Tips To Massively Improve The Quality Of Your Travel Video Footage
Specialist Topic: Deep Winter
- Ice Road Biker: Essential Gear for a Deep Winter Bike Tour
- 10 Questions & Answers On Surviving The Scandinavian Arctic On A Bike
- 5 Reasons To Go Winter Cycle-Touring (& 5 Reasons Not To)
A quick word. You don’t need any of this stuff. What you really need is the modern world’s most scarce resource: time. After that, a bicycle and a willingness to see where the road takes you are the only other necessities.
Nevertheless, many of us find reasons to enter the bemusing and monolithic world of specialist equipment. Here I present an evolving guide to unravelling this maze. (Some of these pages contain affiliate links, marked with an asterisk (*). They help me cover the site’s running costs, and are suggestions rather than endorsements. More info here.)
- Round-up of 2012 Mid-Range Touring Bikes
- Kona Sutra 2013 Touring Bike: First Look
- Kona Sutra 2012 Touring Bike: Road Test Review
- Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Touring Tyre Review
- Kona Explosif Frame Review For Expedition Cycle Touring
- SKF BXC600 Touring Bottom Bracket Review
- Touring Wheelset Review — Sun Rhyno Lite rims on Shimano Deore XT 36h hubs
- Magura Odur 100mm Front Suspension Touring Fork Review [DISCONTINUED]
- Magura Louise Hydraulic Disc Brake Review
- Extrawheel Voyager Single-wheel Bike Trailer Review
- Tubus Logo Rear Rack Review
- Carradice Super C Rear Pannier Review
- MSR Hubba 1-Man Ultralight Tent Review
- Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite Ultralight Camping Mat Review
- Vaude Hogan Ultralight Stormproof 2-Man Tent Review
- MSR Whisperlite Universal Canister/Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- MSR Dragonfly Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- Exped DownMat 7 Pump Camping Mattress Review
- Snugpak Elite 3 Three-Season Synthetic Sleeping Bag Review