How To Plan A Bike Tour: Advice, Inspiration, How-Tos & Gear Reviews
Need advice on planning a bike tour? OK:
- Pick a date. Start saving.
- Get a bike, tent & sleeping bag.
- Choose a direction and start pedalling.
That’s all there is to it. (Length, location and budget make no difference.)
I really mean this. Have another look at the picture above. Maria (left) departed Budapest on a bike she bought for £10 from a local scrapyard. After strapping a backpack to it, she spent two months cycling through Eastern Europe to Istanbul. Her life-changing bicycle adventure required less than 24 hours of planning and involved no specialist equipment whatsoever.
Need more reassurance? Think your trip’s going to be different? Right. Let’s see…
How To Plan A Cycle Tour
- How To Cycle Around The World In 3 Easy Steps
- Here’s How To Plan Your First Overseas Cycle Tour In 6 Easy Steps
- A Completely Foolproof Financial Plan For Funding Big Adventures & Travelling The World
- What’s The Best Touring Bike?
- Why You Don’t Need Any Of That Stuff
Before You Go: Your Concerns Addressed
- How To Train For Long-Distance Cycle Touring (Bicycle Optional)
- Cycle Touring Insurance: What You Must Understand Before Taking Out Your Policy
- Just Released – A Brand New Edition Of The Best Adventure Cycle Tour Planning Guide On The Planet
- To Go High Tech Or To Go Low Tech?
- Unpacking The Trailers Versus Panniers Debate
- 8 Free Android Apps For Cycle Tourists
- How To Make The Most Of GPS On A Cycling Trip
- 10 Tips For Planning Your First Off-Road Bicycle Expedition
- Folding Bike Touring: Possible? Practical? Really?
- A Social Network For Solo Cycle Tourists To Find Partners In Adventure
- Iranian & Central Asian Visas for Cycle Tourists Riding East
On The Road: Your Concerns Addressed
- How To Wild Camp Anywhere And Not Get Busted
- What & Where To Eat On A Cycle Tour – Options For Every Kind Of Budget
- How To Stay Safe & Secure On A Cycle Tour Of Any Length
- Why It’s Friendliness, Not Defensiveness, That’ll Keep You Safe On The Road
- “What the heck am I supposed to do now?” On Adversity & Problem-Solving
- We Were Not Born Talented, Brave & Fearless
- Everything Will Be Fine. Here’s Proof.
- The Surprising Truth About Cycling Across A Continent
- On The Art Of The Unplanned Journey
- The Deeply Misunderstood Nature Of On-The-Road Hospitality
- 5 Keys To Relationship Preservation As A Couple On Tour
Lifestyle Design for Ambitious Adventurers
- How To Travel Full Time While Working On The Road (Includes Q&A With A Veteran Of 9 Years)
- How To Finance Long-Term Cycle Touring
- How To Travel 100% Money-Free (Indefinitely)
- How To Get A Free Touring Bike If You Can’t Afford A Posh One
- Buying A New Touring Bike? Want A Free Business Class Flight With That?
- How to Combine Work & Adventure to Create Freedom
- Save More Money & Have More Fun By WWOOFing Around The World By Bicycle
- How To Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
- Why You May Not Want To Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
- Just Don’t Bother With The Whole Sponsorship Thing
Deep Winter Cycle Touring
Bikes & Equipment
(A quick word. You don’t need any of this stuff. What you really need is the modern world’s most scarce resource: time. After that, a bicycle and a willingness to see where the road takes you are the only other necessities.)
Choosing A Touring Bike
- What’s The Best Touring Bike? A Veteran’s Perspective
- A Massive List Of Expedition Touring Bikes For Worldwide Cycle Touring
- Cheap Touring Bikes For Low-Budget Bicycle Adventures – A Growing List
- The Best Specialist Touring Bike Retailers In The UK – A Growing List
- Understanding Touring Bikes For Epic Expeditions (PDF download)
Recommended & Reviewed Bikes
- Recommended Expedition Touring Bike: Oxford Bike Works Expedition
- Recommended Road Touring Bike: Ridgeback Panorama
- Recommended Short-Term Adventure Bike: Kona Sutra
Complete Touring Bike F.A.Q.
- Touring Bike FAQ #1: What Makes A Bike A Touring Bike?
- Touring Bike FAQ #2: 26-inch or 700C Wheel Size?
- Touring Bike FAQ #3: Steel Or Aluminium Frames?
- Touring Bike FAQ #4: Disc Brakes or Rim Brakes?
- Touring Bike FAQ #5: Derailleurs Or Internal Hub Gears?
- Touring Bike FAQ #6: What’s The Best Way To Avoid Buying The Wrong Bike?
- Touring Bike FAQ #7: What Should I Remember Before Handing Over My Cash?
Choosing Cycle Touring Gear
- What’s The Best Tent For Cycle Touring?
- Tents, Why They Suck, And Some (Better) Alternatives For Camping On Tour
- Unconventional Sources Of Cheap Cycle Touring Equipment
- Essential Gear For Adventure Cycle Touring (PDF download)
- 15 Veteran Cyclists Share Their Favourite Luxury Items On Tour
Cycle Touring Gear Reviews
- Extrawheel Voyager Single-wheel Bike Trailer Review
- Carradice Super C Rear Pannier Review
- Biologic ReeCharge: A Dynamo-Powered USB Charger for Smartphones & More
- Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Touring Tyre Review
- Vaude Hogan Ultralight 2P Tent Review
- MSR Whisperlite Universal Canister/Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- MSR Dragonfly Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite Ultralight Camping Mat Review
- Exped DownMat 7 Pump Camping Mattress Review