Planning A Bike Tour: Veteran Advice, How-Tos & Gear Reviews
Need advice on planning a bike tour?
- Pick a date. Start saving.
- Get a bike, tent & sleeping bag.
- Choose a direction and start pedalling.
That’s all there is to it. (Duration and budget make no difference.)
I really mean this. Have another look at the picture above. Maria (left) departed Budapest on a bike she bought for £10 from a local scrapyard. After strapping a backpack to it, she spent two months cycling through Eastern Europe to Istanbul. Her life-changing bicycle adventure required less than 24 hours of planning and involved no specialist equipment whatsoever.
Need more reassurance? Think your trip’s going to be different? OK — here’s everything I know about planning a big bike tour, all in one place.
How To Plan A Bike Tour
- How To Cycle Around The World In 3 Easy Steps
- Why Travel By Bicycle Anyway?
- What’s The Best Touring Bike?
- Why You Don’t Need Any Of That Stuff
- Why There’s No ‘Kit List’ Page On My Cycle Touring Blog
- How To Finance Long-Term Cycle Touring
- Frequently Asked Questions About Bicycle Touring
In-Depth Trip Planning, Lifestyle Design & Alternative Approaches
- How Self-Employment Can Be A Life-Changing Route To Freedom & Adventure
- How To Get A Free Touring Bike If You Can’t Afford An Expensive One
- Going High Tech Or Going Low Tech?
- 10 Tips For Planning Your First Off-Road Bicycle Expedition
- How To Build The Perfect Expedition Bike (4-Part Series)
- Folding Touring: Possible? Practical? Really?
- How To Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
- Why You May Not Want To Get Sponsorship For Your Cycle Tour
- Just Don’t Bother With The Whole Sponsorship Thing
- Unpacking The Trailers Versus Panniers Debate
- How To Build A Bicycle Wheel In Ten Easy Steps
- How To Setup And Run A Mobile Adventure Blog
- How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You’ll Ever Need [VIDEO]
- 8 Handy Bits Of Software For Travellers And Adventurers
- 8 Free Android Apps For Cycle Tourists
- The Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook Is The Only Guidebook You Need
- How To Make The Most Of GPS On A Cycling Trip
- Iranian & Central Asian Visas for Cycle Tourists Riding East
On-The-Road Concerns Addressed
- How To Wild Camp Anywhere And Not Get Busted [VIDEO]
- “What the heck am I supposed to do now?” On Adversity & Problem-Solving
- We Were Not Born Talented, Brave & Fearless
- Everything Will Be Fine. Here’s Proof.
- The Surprising Truth About Cycling Across A Continent
- On The Art Of The Unplanned Journey
- The Deeply Misunderstood Nature Of On-The-Road Hospitality
- 5 Keys To Relationship Preservation As A Couple On Tour
Recommended Cycle Touring Equipment
(A quick word. You don’t need any of this stuff. What you really need is the modern world’s most scarce resource: time. After that, a bicycle and a willingness to see where the road takes you are the only other necessities.)
- What’s The Best Touring Bike?
- How Far Can You Go On A £10 Touring Bike? (Answer: A Surprisingly Long Way)
- What’s The Best Tent For Cycle Touring?
- Everything you need to know about choosing gear for cycle touring in a single eBook
- 15 Veteran Cyclists Share Their Favourite Luxury Items On Tour
Recommended Bikes, Accessories & Luggage
- Recommended Do-It-All Expedition Bike: Surly Disc Trucker
- Recommended Short-Term Adventure Bike: Kona Sutra
- Recommended Road Touring Bike: Ridgeback Panorama
- Recommended Custom-Built Touring Bikes: Oxford Bike Works
- Recommended Rear Rack: Tubus Logo
- Recommended Panniers: Crosso Twist
- Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Touring Tyre Review
More Bike Gear Reviews
- Tents, Why They Suck, And Some (Better) Alternatives For Camping On Tour
- Recommended Tents: MSR Hubba 1P Solo Tent
- Recommended Tents: Vaude Hogan Ultralight 2P Tent
- MSR Whisperlite Universal Canister/Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- MSR Dragonfly Multi-Fuel Stove Review
- Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite Ultralight Camping Mat Review
- Exped DownMat 7 Pump Camping Mattress Review
Adventure Filmmaking Advice
- How To Make An Award-Winning Adventure Documentary [VIDEO]
- What Every Adventure Filmmaker Should Know About Storytelling
- How To Film Your Solo Cycling Expedition
- How To Shoot A Feature Documentary With A Cast And Crew Of One
- How To Shoot Your Own Blockbuster Travel Documentary [VIDEO]
- Insider Secrets: How To Make Your Travel Videos Better
- The Importance of Storytelling
- The Double-Edged Sword Of Independent Film
- The Hero Myth vs Everyman: The Two Faces Of Adventure Storytelling
- 5 Tips To Massively Improve The Quality Of Your Travel Video Footage
- How This 2-Minute Clip Won The ACA’s Bicycle Travel Video Contest